Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Yarn Along - Fire Truck

Finished blocking Tino's Fire Truck Sweater last night and this morning he wore it to school.


He told me he's going to wear it everyday!! I love that he loves it, and will speed wash it so he can wear it 'daily', as in a few months it's going to be too small.  I think it fits just right/bordering on snug!!
This was my first time working with the Intarsia method of color work, where each color change has it's own separate 'bobbin' of yarn...

necessity being the mother of invention I used elastic bands as bobbins (no yarn shop for miles and fed up paying postage when buying online).  Intarsia works great for big blocks of color but it's mighty fiddly on small color changes like the runs of the ladder.  I can't keep things from you good yarn along ladies, so I'll own up - I cheated on the fiddly parts and used the Fair Isle technique.  Phew, I feel much better now that I've come clean!
Still rippling away and have just cast-on a grey and yellow stripped beanie for Rémi (to match his ski jkt no less)

Reading Simplicity Parenting on my kindle into the wee small hours (don't need the lights on so hubby doesn't whine about being kept awake!).  This is a fantastic book and follows on perfectly from Last Child In The Woods which I just recently finished.
Linking up with Ginny for Yarn Along.  It's our tenth wedding anniversary today and we shall be spending the evening watching Rémi play ice hockey, but I'm sure we'll find a moment to pop in the bar for a glass of bubbly (two perhaps if his team wins!).
What are you knitting, reading or celebrating today?

16 comments:

  1. What a lovely knit, so glad he likes it. Children grow so fast that often by the time you have completed a project they have nearly grown out of it! Hope it get lots if wear.

    The intarsia looks really complicated I haven't tried anything like that yet.

    Happy Anniversary :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous sweater! My boys would want to wear it every day too. Colorwork impresses me so much - it looks so fiddly I don't think I have the patience.
    Happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is an adorable sweater! My son would love that. I haven't gotten to sweaters yet and I may never.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness. I cannot show this to my son, or he would never stop talking about it until I made it. :-) What a lovely sweater: I'm sure your son is going to love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so cute! I have never knit intarsia or Fair Isle, but after seeing this, I want to try! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a cute sweater! I love the other knits you have in progress also.

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a great sweater!!! And he looks so cute in it!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, what a sweet sweater! Wish I did more of that when the boys were smaller, but I am still sticking to duplicate stitch - your colour work looks lovely! I loved Simplicity Parenting too, you should listen to it while you spring clean the kids' rooms. It makes it so easy to just throw things out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic jumper- what is the pattern? Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The pattern is from Ravelry, if you click onto the link on the first line of this post, it should take you directly there.

      Delete
  10. Your work is beautiful. I am still knitting a block blanket, and have yet to find time to finish it. I have a problem with starting new projects, ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ack! That sweater is fabulous in its stripey-sleeved, retro vibed, FIRETRUCKness! My little ones would go gaga over it too. What patience you must have. Not to mention skill, hello!

    I'm really starting to think that I want to start rippling too. AND, I've totally been wanting to make a yellow and grey striped hat for my son. Clearly we are kindred knitting spirits :-)

    Happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  12. super cute!!! I can see why he is so proud of that sweater! Happy Anniversary! Thanks for the comment on my blog also! :) the dishes you asked about are blue willow.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aww he is so sweet in his new sweater!
    Wishing you Happy Anniversary :)

    ReplyDelete